Friday, July 20, 2018

Back to the Mines

Originally Posted: October 24, 2017

"By god, I've hit the slutload."

So the website is 90% up-and-running, and I can finally get back to the AW code mines. There's a bunch of little things to do to get ready for the prologue exit. I'm going to start with adding the code to the morning to get dressed before work. There are some connections to be made, and arriving home after work, and I want to get the downtown and Muschi Valley maps at least usable.

There are several little things and some more complicated small function doodads to get the existing systems tied together... and we'll technically be out of the prologue. (I say technically, because the prologue story text won't be done, and there won't actually be much to do yet. 

After this chunk I get to start working on the NPC procedural generator though, which is pretty exciting. We're talking the detail level of a slave from Free Cities, but with many more variables that control behavior, schedule, and relationship. Once the NPCs are sorted out, I can start in on the sex scene system! (hooray, it's been too long since I've worked on something erotic!) The NPC generation will be done in javascript, which is going to make it a bit more complicated for anyone attempting to alter the game down the road, but is necessary to handle generating a slutload of NPCs without long loading times.

When I launched AW publicly, I made several promises to anyone supporting development. One of those is being honest and straight-forward when I make a mistake. On that note, I figure it's time I share that I may have made a mistake with how I handled the time system thus far. I was looking at the processing time, and it's longer than I expected. It's nothing that impacts the game right now, but looking ahead towards everything that will be going on for each 15-minute 'tick' of the clock, I may have miscalculated where asynchronous processing should start. My goal is to have passage transitions take no more than 1 second, but for activities that use more time (and thus process more ticks), it looks like I may not meet that goal. I'll keep an eye on it and see. It won't be something that affects development at this stage, and isn't a huge deal in any case, but I want to keep my promise to be forthright with any screw ups. 

With that out of the way, I'm going to get to work!

The Springtime Release v1.26

This summary is not available. Please click here to view the post.