Friday, July 20, 2018

NPC Face Portrait Artist Vote

Originally Posted: October 24, 2017

It's finally time...


The vote to choose the artist for the NPC face portraits. I'm going to go over some of the details here just so it's clear what kind of art we're talking about. The artist chosen will be drawing face and shoulders portraits of NPCs (quite a lot of them, in fact). They will also do a small number of full images with background for special scenes in the game. Beyond just the quality of the art, it's also important to have an artist that can perform over the course of the project.

Three Choices:


  1. AlexW95
  2. Arteria Criteria
  3. Justinian Knight



AlexW95:

AlexW95 has been great to work with. He's been quick and reliable with communication, his rates are quite reasonable, and we already have a good rapport for the work ahead. If I was simply choosing by myself, he'd be my pick. As far as art goes, his anatomy work is the best of the three, his detail and rendering is superb, and his facial style really fits my vision.


Arteria Criteria:

Arteria is a nice guy, and he certainly has a unique style of art. I do appreciate the more realistic look of his work, though it would make any potential recolors a bit more difficult. The more realistic style would lend a more serious tone to the game. My main concern is the number of changes I've had to request, though Arteria has been quick and willing to make them. The issue may be part of the language barrier, or I may not have been as clear as I could have. 


Justinian:


To be honest, I haven't communicated much with Justinian, and replies have been slow or required a follow-up email. To his credit, he's been apologetic, and I certainly understand what it's like to be busy! He's had a large commission/RL workload this month, but he worked to get this in for us. He says that a more regular schedule of production for the game shouldn't be a problem after this busy patch. I do like his style, which has a certain cartoon-like element.


I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Springtime Release v1.26

This summary is not available. Please click here to view the post.